Shower steamers are a quick solution if you’re looking for an aromatherapy experience at home. These teeny, tiny tablets release powerful essential oils when they come in contact with water, making them a perfect addition to any shower routine.
The Benefits of Showers Steamers
- Promote relaxation: The essential oils used in shower steamers can help lower cortisol levels to alleviate stress and tension after a long day.
- Ease respiratory issues: The steam from the shower combined with therapeutic essential oils can help break up mucus and relieve congestion from allergies, colds, or other respiratory issues.
- Boost immunity: Some essential oils, like eucalyptus, tea tree, and lemon, contain antimicrobial properties that combat germs.
- Promote quality sleep: Aromatherapy is known to promote better sleep. Steamers made with lavender or chamomile can help signal to your body that it’s time for sleep.
How To Create DIY Shower Steamers at Home
Incorporating shower steamers into your bathroom routine is a fantastic way to practice daily self-care. And when you make your shower steamers at home, you can save a lot of money in the long run over buying them at a store.
If you want to create an elevated spa-like experience for your bathroom, take a look at this quick guide on how to create your very own DIY shower steamers at home.
Gather your supplies.
The great thing about making shower steamers is that they don’t require a ton of supplies. To make your DIY shower steamers, here’s what you’ll need:
- Silicone molds
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of citric acid
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Essential oils
- Mica powder (optional)
- Dried flowers (optional)
Mix your ingredients.
Once you have everything you need, it’s time to start building your DIY shower steamers. Start by combining all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix them all together until everything is evenly distributed.
Add your fragrance.
Next, add about 20 drops of essential oil to your dry mixture. Each essential oil includes its own unique features and benefits, so you can get really creative with this step. For example, lavender oil can help promote better sleep so that you can relax in the shower before hitting the sheets. And peppermint oil is known for its properties that aid in clearing congestion and soothing headaches, making it the perfect companion for cold and flu season. Or to spice things up, you could even try combining two or three oils to create your own signature scent.
Form your mixture.
To ensure your steamers can hold their shape, use a spray bottle filled with water to spritz a bit — about 20-25 sprays — of water onto your mixture. As you spray, your mixture should start to clump together.
It’s important to note that your shower steamer mixture shouldn’t be wet, but just moist enough that it feels like damp sand. So when spraying your mixture, start with a few spritzes then build up as you go.
Pack your mixture into molds.
After you’ve found the perfect consistency, scoop the mixture into your silicone molds, pressing it firmly to ensure it’s compacted. If you don’t have silicone molds, you can shape your steamers using muffin tins or cupcake liners, or form balls or discs with your hands.
Let them set.
Before you start using your DIY shower steamers, let them dry out overnight to make sure they’re fully set. Then, pop your steamers out of their molds and place them in an airtight container until you’re ready to enjoy.
When you’re ready to use your steamers, simply place one in the back corner of your shower floor. As the steamer dissolves, it will release its fragrance and benefits. Be sure to take deep breaths to fully enjoy the aromatherapy experience, allowing the steam to work its magic on your skin and muscles.
You can create a stunning display by placing your steamers in a clear container to decorate your bathroom countertop. Or for a thoughtful gift, place your steamers in cellophane bags to give to your family and friends.
- 1It’s Black Business Month, So Let’s Go Shopping and #BuyBlack!
- 2These Home Decor Items Will Instantly Make Your Space Look Outdated
- 3Black-Owned Home Decor Stores To Support Across the United States
- 47 Black and Multicultural Designers To Follow For Design Inspo
- 5A Look Inside Elon Musk's Tiny $50,000 House
by Stephanie Taylor | January 19, 2023
by Arielle Clay | January 19, 2023
Whether it’s luxury or ease, every area of your home should be as fabulous and unique as you.
FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM
Find us on social for more home inspiration where culture, personal style, and sophisticated shopping intersect to help you create a home where you love to live.