Feng Shui is the practice of creating a space with positive, harmonious and balanced energy. Among this practice, smudging is a technique often used to cleanse the home and the space around you. Smudging is the process of burning plant material or sage to purify and cleanse your space. This technique essentially works as an energetic cleanse, getting rid of any bad auras or vibes that may have infiltrated your space.
So, what is smudging and why is it used? Follow this guide to learn about this feng shui practice and how to know if smudging works.
Why Smudge at Home?
With the chaotic stressors of the world today, smudging and cleansing your space allows you to truly be at ease in your own home. Welcoming in good and positive energy is important to keep a safe space and be the best version of yourself.
The Origins of Smudging
Smudging, or sage burning, has been an essential part of Native American culture for a long time. This practice has also been used in many cultures and religions to welcome positive energy and connect religion with humanity.
What You’ll Need To Smudge Your Home
Purchasing and acquiring the right products in order to smudge your home is key. For non-Natives, support the Indigenous community by purchasing products from Indigenous-owned companies if possible. Here’s what you’ll need to smudge your space.
- Candles and Matches: Have a candle and matches readily available for a nice smell and to relight your smudge stick during the smudging process.
- Container: Keep a container nearby to prevent ashes and particles from spreading all over your floor and surfaces.
- A Smudge Stick: A smudge stick is the most important element of smudging, as you cannot do this process without it.
- Sage Spray: A good alternative to use for those who aren’t comfortable with smoke or fire, use a sage spray instead.
- A Fanning Tool: This tool is completely optional but helpful for clearing out smoke and your candlelit fire.
- A Bowl of Sand: Having a bowl of sand nearby is important for extinguishing your smudge stick safely, without the threat of additional smoke or fire. This is best for putting out sage after smudging.
How To Smudge Your Home
There are multiple steps to smudging your home. Setting intentions and taking your time is the first way to start. Meditate, do yoga, read or relax beforehand to make sure you are not too eager to rush the process. If you want to hear sound while or before smudging, turn on some calming jazz, classical or instrumental music that will help you set your intentions.
Now that you have your tools and have set your intentions, it’s time to officially start the process. Light your smudge stick using matches or your candle, let it burn for 15-20 seconds and slowly start to walk around the home. Make sure to move with mindfulness and intention. Allow the smoke to waft around and slowly guide the smoke and negative energy towards an open window or door to let it escape. Don’t forget about additional spaces like closets, corners and small areas. You can also take this time to pray or say a personal mantra for deep and positive energy.
To close out the smudging process, arrive at your front door to allow the smoke and negative energy to leave the home. Repeat your set intentions one last time before using the bowl of sand to extinguish your smudge stick. Blow out your candles and check to make sure there are no ashes on your furniture, floor or surfaces.
How Do You Know if the Smudging Worked & When To Do It Again
A surefire way of knowing if smudging or saging worked is if you don’t feel any negative or bad energy in your home anymore. There’s no specific timeline for when to routinely smudge, but whenever you feel any negative energies or if you are weighed down by stressors again, use your intuition to know when it should be done.
Types of Sage That You Can Use
There are many different types of sage that you can use for smudging and they are all based on personal preference of what works best for the individual. It’s important to pick the right type of sage based on intention.
- White Sage: This type of sage is used to create positive energy. It’s used most often for smudging to cleanse and purify spaces.
- Blue Sage: Blue sage works best for creating a calming and relaxing space. It is often said to bring wealth, prosperity and healing.
- Black Sage: Perfect for meditation, black sage is the best to use before bedtime. This type of sage encourages dreams and visions and makes for a peaceful night of sleep.
- Lavender Sage: While Lavender has many uses, it also comes in the form of sage. Lavender sage is healing and is said to be antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory.
- Desert Sage: This sage is known for cleansing and healing your immune system and working to relieve headaches and anxiety.
Where To Buy Sage and Smudge Products
For beginners, learning where to buy sage might be a challenge. Purchasing products from the right place is important to keep your home protected. You can purchase sage and smudge kits from independent online stores, Amazon or large retailers like World Market and Walmart.
- 1It’s Black Business Month, So Let’s Go Shopping and #BuyBlack!
- 2These Home Decor Items Will Instantly Make Your Space Look Outdated
- 3Black-Owned Home Decor Stores To Support Across the United States
- 47 Black and Multicultural Designers To Follow For Design Inspo
- 5A Look Inside Elon Musk's Tiny $50,000 House
by Arielle Clay | January 19, 2023
Whether it’s luxury or ease, every area of your home should be as fabulous and unique as you.
FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM
Find us on social for more home inspiration where culture, personal style, and sophisticated shopping intersect to help you create a home where you love to live.